ALIA Summer Institute
Halifax, Nova Scotia • June 14-23
June 14, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Co-sponsored by The Halifax Hub, 1673 Barrington Street
$15 includes a copy of Adam’s latest book, Power and Love: A Theory and Practice of Social Change.
The stories we tell about the world around us and our roles in it can keep us stuck or can move us forward. When we co-create new stories, we co-create new futures. Adam Kahane will speak about his experience over the last 20 years, in all parts of the world.
June 18, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
$195 includes lunch
Be prepared for a day that will engage, challenge, and inspire, and that will leave you with fresh ideas for your own innovations back home. Read more…
June 18, 6:00 pm – June 23, departure
Mount Saint Vincent University
$2500 includes all meals. Some scholarships are available.
The four-day Intensive is an immersion in the practices, skills, and connections you need to deepen your leadership and accelerate your work. Here you will learn new skills and practices, in community with thought leaders, artists, meditation teachers, and inspired change-makers from around the world.
You will leave ready to
• step into leadership in a way that is authentic for you
• engage uncertainty and change as your ally
• bring out the leadership in others
• navigate effectively through challenge and complexity
• apply new lenses and strategies to your current leadership goal or project
The Leadership Intensive weaves together three integrated streams: foundations of authentic leadership, skill-building for action, and community dialogue and exchange. Learn more about ALIA’s leadership programs.
Foundations in authentic leadership
Each day begins with a session that strengthens mindfulness and creativity. This sets a shared foundation for new learning while also introducing practices that can be applied back home. These sessions are led by experienced mindfulness teachers and professional artists. Read more about ALIA’s application of mindfulness and creative process to leadership.
Skill-building for action
Choose one of the following 15-hour parallel tracks, each led by master practitioners in their fields.
Focus on personal leadership in action:
- Beyond Yes: Lead Wisely and Live Fully by Mastering the Negotiation Within with Erica Ariel Fox
- Cutting Through Complexity: Working with Power, Timing, and Action with Barbara Bash, Michael Chender & Chris Grant
- Leader as Spiritual Warrior: Transforming Difficulty into the Way of Generosity and Power with Jerry Granelli & Margaret Wheatley
Focus on collaboration, innovation, and systems change:
- Adaptive Capacity: Tools and Strategies for Public Sector Innovation with Glenda Eoyang
- Change Lab: Co-Creating New Social Realities with Adam Kahane & Lenneke Aalbers
- How the World Is Changed: Seeing and Shifting Patterns in Systems with Vickie Cammack, Tim Draimin, Al Etmanski, and Cheryl Rose
Community dialogue and exchange
• Engage in small-group dialogues, informal conversations, and plenary conversations and events.
• Use the community to shed new light on your project. You will have opportunities to present your work, invite input, and see what others are learning in their own contexts.
• Leave with rich relationships and webs of connection that will continue to support you back home.